When buying dress shirts online, it is important to take accurate measurements to ensure a better fit.
You can measure a dress shirt to find its size and length by laying it on a flat surface and using a measuring tape. You can also measure your body to figure out which sizes work best for you. It's easy to take these measurements and well worth your time.
For dress shirt, measuring neck, arm, chest, and waist are critical. Below is a simple guide on how to take the measurements properly.
Steps to Measure a Dress Shirt
- Collar: Measure the inside of the collar band. First, unbutton the shirt and spread it out, facing up. Then use the measuring tape to measure from the center of the button where the button stitching comes through, to the far end of the inside button hole.
- Sleeve: Unbutton the shirt and spread it out, facing down. Measure from the center of the back of the collar where is just below the collar band, along the shoulder, and down the sleeve to the end of the cuff.
- Shoulder: Button up the shirt and spread it out, facing down. Measure from the point where the yoke meets the sleeve, to the same point on the other side. It’s the length from one shoulder to another.
- Chest: Button up the shirt and spread it out, facing up. Measure from the bottom of the armpit of the shirt, to the bottom of the other armpit.
- Shirt length: Spread the shirt out, facing down. Measure from the highest point (below the collar) to the very bottom of the dress shirt.
- Sleeve cuff: Spread the cuff out flat and measure from the center of the button to the far end of the button hole.
- Waist: Button up the shirt and measure the waistline from one side to another.
- Hem: Button up the shirt and measure from one side to another.
Steps to Measure Your Body
- Measure your neck around: Place the measuring tape around the neck where the collar would normally sit. Stand relaxed and do not crane your neck out or squeeze your chin down. Place the tape lightly on the skin. Do not squeeze it. Hold one finger under the tape to ensure some room so the collar of the dress shirt will not be to snug.
- Measure the sleeve length: Have a partner help you measure the sleeve length. Measure from the nape of the neck to the wrist. Make sure that the tape measure lays flat across the shoulder.
- Measure your shoulder width: Have a partner help you measure the shoulder length. Stand up straight with your shoulders relaxed. Find the shoulder points where shoulder meets the arm. Measure the length between the shoulder points. The measuring tape will not be horizontally straight during the measurement. It must bend along the curve with your shoulders.
- Measure your chest: Stand up straight with your arms hang down in a relaxed, natural pose. Measure around the fullest part of your chest. Tight up under the armpits and over the shoulder blades.
- Measure the shirt length: Measure from the base of the back of your neck, down your back to the point where you would want the shirt to be. This point is usually the bottom of the buttocks. Go slightly longer if you plan to tuck the shirt in or slightly shorter if you plan to wear the shirt un-tucked.
- Measure your wrist around: Measure your wrist around the wrist bone. Hold the tape tight but not squeeze your wrist. Round up to the nearest ¼ inch. Add 2 inches to this measurement when determining your cuff circumference.
- Measure your waist: Stand up straight in a relaxed, normal position. Run the tape around the widest part of the belly, not the narrowest part we usually think of waist measurement.
Tips for Taking Measurements
- For dress shirt measuring, take all measurements lying flat on a clean floor or table.
- Measure twice to ensure the most accurate measurement.
- Record measurement to the nearest ¼ inch. Remember that lying flat measurements are generally doubled (e.g., lying flat waist of 13.5″can be understood as a 27″waist) so a ¼ inch could make a difference.
- Always choose the larger size if your measurements come between two sizes, especially when you're ordering online.
- Each country has its own sizing standards. No worries, you can choose the size based on your measurements and find the corresponding sizes on different size charts.
To reduce the return rate after a successful sale, we also recommend that you use Kiwi Sizing AI Size Recommender as a size chart tool. It will recommend the most suitable size of products for customers to reduce return rate, help you decrease the cost of the return, and to create a positive cycle of your e-commerce business.
- Official Website：https://www.kiwisizing.com/
- YouTube Tutorial：https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQpP0NIIALWyMIa6NrFH3dw
- Demo Website：https://demo.kiwisizing.com/