Clothing items like sweatshirts should always be measured well to look good on the body. Poorly fitted sweatshirts can make you look shabby and unkempt, but if sized correctly, even oversized sweatshirts can look great.
You can measure a sweatshirt by placing it on a flat surface, such as a table, and using a measuring tape of some sort. You can also measure certain parts of your body to figure out which sweatshirt size will fit you the best. Making these measurements is easy, and well worth your time.
Written below is a simple guide on how to take measurements for a sweatshirt properly.
Steps To Measure A Sweatshirt
- From Neck to Shoulder - Place the sweatshirt on a flat surface, and flatten it out to remove wrinkles. Take your measuring tape and place it in the middle of the sweatshirt neck, and extend it to the tip of the shoulder.
- From Shoulder Tip to Sleeve - Then, place the measuring tape on the shoulder tip and drag it to the end of the sleeve. This measurement is extremely important, because otherwise, you may end up with a sweatshirt that has sleeves that are too small, or too long.
- From Shoulder to Shoulder - Once you have your sweatshirt on a flat surface, place the measuring tape on the tip of one shoulder and drag it to the tip of the other shoulder.
- Chest - Measuring the chest width is important if you want the sweatshirt to fit across your body well. Place the sweatshirt on a flat surface, and measure from one armhole or one armpit area to the other.
- Waist - With your sweatshirt on a flat surface like a table, measure the waist of your sweatshirt, from one end to the other. The waist of the sweatshirt is usually a bit lower than the halfway down mark of the piece of clothing.
- Front Length - Finally, take the measuring tape and place it on the collar of the sweatshirt. Then, drag it straight down to the bottom of the sweatshirt.
- Hem Width - The stitch at the bottom of your sweatshirt is the hem, and you can measure it by placing the measuring tape at one end of the hem till the other end.
- Sleeve Width - Similarly, the end part of your sleeve is the sleeve width, and you can measure it by placing the measuring tape on one end of the sleeve and dragging it to the other.
For a step-by-step guide, take a look at this video by Iron Heart:
Steps To Measure Yourself For A Sweatshirt
For the perfectly fitted sweatshirt, correctly and accurately measuring yourself is important as well. Here’s how you can do so.
- Measure The Chest/Bust - Take a measuring tape and place it around the chest or bust carefully, measuring the widest area of the chest. This might be difficult to do yourself, so take the help of a friend for an accurate measurement. If you want a more casual-fit or oversized sweatshirt, add in the required inches to the measurement.
- Measure The Shoulder Width - Stand in a relaxed, natural posture and measure the width of your shoulders from end to end, across the full width of your shoulders. Make sure that you arch it across your shoulder, and not straight across your back.
- Measure The Sleeve Area - Put your hand on your hip, such that your arm is bent at the elbow. By placing the tip of measuring tape on your shoulder, drag the end to your wrist. The sweatshirt sleeve should be.
- Measure Your Body Length - Stand in a straight, natural posture, and from the top of your shoulder, measure till the area you want your sweatshirt to end. Although the length you want depends on your preference and style, a proper sweatshirt should end around mid-thigh.
Tips For Making Measurements
- Ensure that all the measurements are made with the sweatshirts placed on a smooth surface, like a table or floor, and all wrinkles smoothened out.
- Do not hold the tape measure too tightly or loose while measuring. It should wrap around your body well.
- Make sure that all the measurements are as accurate as possible.
- Consult an international sizing chart as each country or region has its own sizing rules. Brands differ in sizing as well. So it is important to match your measurements with their sizing guide.
- Always refer to the sizing guide mentioned by a brand/store.
To reduce the return rate after a successful sale, we also recommend that you can create a size chart with unit conversion to make your customers pick the unit they are most comfortable to think in to make a purchase decision.
Or use Kiwi Sizing AI Size Recommender as a size chart tool. It will recommend the most suitable size of products for customers to reduce return rate, help you decrease the cost of the return, and to create a positive cycle of your e-commerce business.
- Official Website：https://www.kiwisizing.com/
- YouTube Tutorial：https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQpP0NIIALWyMIa6NrFH3dw
- Demo Website：https://demo.kiwisizing.com/
- Showcase: https://www.kiwisizing.com/showcases/size-charts