Clothing items like sweatshirts should always be measured well to look good on the body. Poorly fitted sweatshirts can make you look shabby and unkempt, but if sized correctly, even oversized sweatshirts can look great.
You can measure a sweatshirt by placing it on a flat surface, such as a table, and using a measuring tape of some sort. You can also measure certain parts of your body to figure out which sweatshirt size will fit you the best. Making these measurements is easy, and well worth your time.
Written below is a simple guide on how to take measurements for a sweatshirt properly.
Steps To Measure A Sweatshirt
Step 1: From Neck to Shoulder
Place the sweatshirt on a flat surface, and flatten it out to remove wrinkles. Take your measuring tape and place it in the middle of the sweatshirt neck, and extend it to the tip of the shoulder.
Step 2: From Shoulder Tip to Sleeve
Then, place the measuring tape on the shoulder tip and drag it to the end of the sleeve. This measurement is extremely important, because otherwise, you may end up with a sweatshirt that has sleeves that are too small, or too long.
Step 3: From Shoulder to Shoulder
Once you have your sweatshirt on a flat surface, place the measuring tape on the tip of one shoulder and drag it to the tip of the other shoulder.
Step 4: Chest
Measuring the chest width is important if you want the sweatshirt to fit across your body well. Place the sweatshirt on a flat surface, and measure from one armhole or one armpit area to the other.
Step 5: Waist
With your sweatshirt on a flat surface like a table, measure the waist of your sweatshirt, from one end to the other. The waist of the sweatshirt is usually a bit lower than the halfway down mark of the piece of clothing.
Step 6: Front Length
Finally, take the measuring tape and place it on the collar of the sweatshirt. Then, drag it straight down to the bottom of the sweatshirt.
Step 7: Hem Width
The stitch at the bottom of your sweatshirt is the hem, and you can measure it by placing the measuring tape at one end of the hem till the other end.
Step 8: Sleeve Width
Similarly, the end part of your sleeve is the sleeve width, and you can measure it by placing the measuring tape on one end of the sleeve and dragging it to the other.
For a step-by-step guide, take a look at this video by Iron Heart:
Steps To Measure Yourself For A Sweatshirt
For the perfectly fitted sweatshirt, correctly and accurately measuring yourself is important as well. Here’s how you can do so.
- Measure The Chest/Bust – Take a measuring tape and place it around the chest or bust carefully, measuring the widest area of the chest. This might be difficult to do yourself, so take the help of a friend for an accurate measurement. If you want a more casual-fit or oversized sweatshirt, add in the required inches to the measurement.
- Measure The Shoulder Width – Stand in a relaxed, natural posture and measure the width of your shoulders from end to end, across the full width of your shoulders. Make sure that you arch it across your shoulder, and not straight across your back.
- Measure The Sleeve Area – Put your hand on your hip, such that your arm is bent at the elbow. By placing the tip of the measuring tape on your shoulder, drag the end to your wrist. The sweatshirt sleeve should be.
- Measure Your Body Length – Stand in a straight, natural posture, and from the top of your shoulder, measure the area you want your sweatshirt to end. This is also called torso length. Although the length you want depends on your preference and style, a proper sweatshirt should end around mid-thigh.
Tips For Making Measurements
- Ensure that all the measurements are made with the sweatshirts placed on a smooth surface, like a table or floor, and all wrinkles smoothened out.
- Do not hold the tape measure too tightly or loose while measuring. It should wrap around your body well.
- Make sure that all the measurements are as accurate as possible.
- Consult an international sizing chart as each country or region has its own sizing rules. Brands differ in sizing as well. So it is important to match your measurements with their sizing guide.
- Always refer to the sizing guide mentioned by a brand/store.
Sweatshirt size chart examples
Here is a men’s sweatshirt size chart table:
|Size||Chest (in.)||Chest (cm)|
Here is a women’s sweatshirt size chart table:
|Size||Chest (in.)||Chest (cm)|
These are sample sweatshirt sizing charts to give you a fair idea of what sizes would fit you. However the sizing for different brands may vary and it’s best to check the individual brand’s sizing charts for an accurate fit.
Where is the length of a sweatshirt measured?
The length of a sweatshirt is typically measured from the highest point of the shoulder to the bottom hem of the garment.
How do you measure a hoodie in inches?
To measure a hoodie, you will need to measure the width of the chest, the length of the body, and the sleeve length. Measure the chest width, from one side of the body to the other, and double this measurement. Measure the length, from the highest point of the shoulder to the bottom hem of the garment. Lastly, measure the sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the sleeve.
Should sweatshirts be oversized?
Whether or not a sweatshirt should be oversized is up to the wearer’s preference. An oversized sweatshirt can be a comfortable and stylish choice, but it can also give the impression of being sloppy and unkempt.
How do you know if a sweatshirt is too small?
If a sweatshirt is too small, it will be tight and uncomfortable to wear. It may also be difficult to move freely while wearing it. Additionally, the seams of the garment may be stretched or strained, causing it to look misshapen.
How should a hoodie fit a woman?
A hoodie should fit a woman comfortably, without being too tight or too loose. It should also allow a full range of motion, so the wearer can move freely. The hood should fit snugly around the head, without being so tight that it restricts movement. The length of the body should be long enough to cover the hips, and the sleeves should reach the wrist.
Maximize comfort and style with the perfect sweatshirt
A hoodie is a versatile and stylish item of clothing that can be worn for a variety of occasions. Whether you prefer an oversized fit or a more tailored look, it is important to find the right fit for you to ensure maximum comfort and movement. With the right fit, a hoodie can be a comfortable and stylish addition to your wardrobe.
If you’re a Shopify store that sells sweatshirts, consider using Kiwi Sizing AI Size Recommender. This tool will help you reduce your return rate, decrease the cost of returns, and create a positive cycle for your e-commerce business. With the help of Kiwi Sizing, your customers can confidently pick the right size of sweatshirt for them, making purchases easier and more enjoyable.
“The best size chart I have seen on Shopify and the impeccable service will not disappoint you!” – Zee Abayas
Try Kiwi Sizing Charts for FREE today.